Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Crooked Back

  • Last week I was sitting adjacent to an elderly Japanese woman.
  • We did not share a word nor exchange a glance throughout the 3 odd hour flight from Osaka.
  • When we landed, I noticed she was struggling to get her bag down from the overhead compartment.
  • I would guess she was in her '80s but she could have been a super centenarian.
  • She had on a thatched hat wrapped with an animal print ribbon.
  • She was well dressed and had on heavy make-up.
  • Her sunglasses were dark and must have been more expensive than my itouch.
  • She looked frail and her back was extremely contorted.
  • I wondered how tall she was before the hunching of her back (kyphosis).
  • I gently tapped her shoulder to get her attention.
  • I offered to carry her bag and hand cart.
  • She quickly responded in Japanese followed by hand signals since I was clearly oblivious to what she had to say to me.
  • In a nut shell, she told me she could handle it, I guess.
  • What's the point? I had great admiration for this super centenarian because she displayed dignity most of us can learn from.
  • As we approached the aircraft's exit, she hopped onto a wheelchair and was carted off!

No comments: